RSS

Monthly Archives: June 2011

Sawhorses for the Body

To work on the bug body while it’s off the chassis, I’ve decided to build a couple of sawhorses to support the shell. I think this is how most people support the detached body; you can see this technique in action on the BugMe Instructional Video.   These videos are really helpful.

These sawhorses use pressure-treated 4″x4″s that are 8′ long. It takes 3 for the front, and 3 for the back. The advantage of building your own sawhorses (and in building them out of 8′ long 4″x4″s) is that they are wide enough to roll the chassis out from under the car to work on it, then roll it back it when you are finished. This certainly saves on space. Two-by-fours may work, but I don’t think they’d be sturdy enough at 8′ across to feel safe while you are working on the body.

In addition to the 4″x4″s, I also got two 2″x6″ (also 8′ long) for the cross-bracing. These support members add a lot of strength to the sawhorse.  I also bought some fence post brackets to connect the 4″x4″ pieces. These are ridiculously expensive. I needed eight of them at $6+ apiece.  Also, I got about 32 3/8″ bolts with 2 flat washers per bolt, 1 locking washer per, and 1 nut.

 

 

Posted by on June 26, 2011 in Tools

Leave a comment

Tags: , ,

DISASSEMBLY – Part 15

Disconnected the steering wheel coupler by unplugging the horn ground wire, then removing two castle nuts and cotter pins on the coupler. Cleaning off some of the gunk makes it easier to see the parts. Especially when trying to get the cotter pins out.

Steering coupler doesn’t look that bad, but I’ll know more when it’s cleaned off. I always assumed I would just replace it since it’s a ‘soft’ part. There’s an interesting forum thread on the Samba.com site, that talks about using urethane couplers. I’ll think I’ll stick to a OE part like this one from CIP1.com.

 

Posted by on June 19, 2011 in Disassembly

Leave a comment

Tags: , , , ,